Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Talking To Famous People As If You Are Actually Friends With Them

I noticed pretty early on in my speech and debate career that our little league has a sort of unofficial hierarchy. See, you probably think that all homeschoolers and/or all speech and debate kids are dorks, and you would be right, but that doesn't change the fact that some dorks are slightly cooler than other dorks. And that's what I noticed.

I'm the type that really enjoys watching really talented people speak and debate. So I love the famous people, who tend to be the best at it. It's weird that I know all their names, and it's weird that I see them and think, "Oh, hey, I was just stalking you on speechranks this morning. You're number one in (some event or two). Cool." I don't tell them that, though. I don't want them to think I'm crazy.

The thing about famous people is that they're almost always really super nice and humble and friendly. Those are other reasons people like them. It's fun to be friends with them. Except sometimes, you're not actually friends like them. That's why we like to pretend (and interpers like me are good at pretending). You can just talk to all your favorite debaters or speech-ers as if you actually know them and you're not just some fan. You can pretend to be famous too. Of course, they're so nice, they make it easy.

Here are some tips: you can complement their speech, but don't go crazy with it. You can ask them what they broke in, but act all casual when you hear they broke in 14 IEs and debate. You can say hi and give a high-five, but don't make it about you wanting to be famous. And don't look desperate. Or nervous or shy or over-excited. Talking to famous people as if you are actually friends with them is a difficult art, but it is one worth mastering, because let's face it: the famous people are awesome.

Here is the most important tip of all that I tell myself all the time: Talk to the novices too. Remember their names too. Ask them about their speeches, rounds, and life in general, because these people are really great. And honestly, they might even think you're famous and be a fan of you. And how cool is that?

You're homeschooled. Let's talk.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I do the exact same thing! at nationals one year I was talking to a parent and I was like, "oh yeah...your son won this tournament and placed __th at regionals!" I think she thought I was weird. Which would be totally accurate!

    2. speaking as a somewhat "famous person" (but not entirely) we love it when people treat us as friends/people and not...idols or whatever. Fame is overrated and oftentimes people become too intimidated to talk to us, which really sucks. Cause it's not like you automatically get a faithful group of friends after you win a tournament.

    (oh, and I feel okay commenting on this because even though we've never met, I'm confident that you at least sort of know who I am due to your stalking abilities.)

    ReplyDelete