Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Confusing Terminology

TP does not stand for toilet paper. LD has almost nothing to do with Lincoln or Douglas. NCFCA stands for the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association. STOA does not stand for anything. HI is not pronounced "hi." And the list goes on...

Do you know how hard it was for me to remember the difference between an expos and an extemp? I've mentioned that several times, but it really was a problem. I mean, one is a platform speech with visual aids and the other is a limited-prep about current events, but how am I supposed to figure out which is which? It took a while.

What about OO and OI? What's that about? They're two totally different events, but the names are extremely similar. I was explaining an OI I might write to my sister when she said, "Wait, I thought if you wrote it, it has to be an OO?" It took me a really long time to try to explain her mistake, and I think she still doesn't understand.

You know what's the worst and most confusing acronym of all? IE. It stands for individual events. Oh, but not LD, because you technically need two competitors for a Lincoln-Douglas round. IE is just the speech events. It does, therefore, include Duo, which, like LD, requires two competitors, but is still an individual event. My question is, why don't they just call IEs speech? No one calls TP an MPE, or Multiple Persons Event.

You're homeschooled, and you're reading a blog with a really long name that is abbreviated to "SCHSADKL," and I write the blog so I have no room to talk about confusing terminology.

3 comments:

  1. You're right. I still don't understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.......I just realized the extent of my ignorance. I don't know the meanings of more than two of those abbreviations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah the GooseMay 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

    Ahahaha. You are funny. =)

    ReplyDelete