Friday, December 2, 2011

Coordinating Suits

In speech and debate, something about girl-girl teams, whether in duos or Policy debate, makes the partners want to have matching suits. Sometimes they just go with matching colors, sometimes the suits are identical. Why? I have no idea. I've never partnered with a girl. I'm sure it's really super fun to have the same suit as your partner, I've just never done it. Guy-guy teams don't do this, though. As far as I know. Maybe they have ties the same color, but they probably don't wear the same suits. That shouldn't come as much of a shock.

But it's not only girl-girl teams that match. Last year, my duo partner, who is a guy, and I would often coordinate colors, which was pretty easy since all of my suits were red and black. It didn't actually require much coordination. This year, I'm doing a duo and debating with two different guys who are both about 14 years old. I figured they would have no interest in matching colors, so I didn't even bring it up. They proved me wrong. My duo partner, apparently, has access to a virtually infinite amount of his brothers' and dad's ties, so he can always coordinate with me. My debate partner also asked if we would match at a recent tournament. At first I thought, really? that even occurred to you? And then I was like, ok. We both wore black, but then so did everyone else, so it wasn't really that exciting or special. Still, it's good that I have cool people as partners.

Coordinating suit colors is just fun. It's not necessary for success, but you never know, it might help. Or if not, well, you can have a good time with it and look snazzy anyway. Like those guy-girl teams that both wear pink, That's kind of cool, and sometimes those teams win tournaments. Just saying. Have you ever matched your partner before? If not, you should try it, if you have a partner. If anything, the judge might leave an extra smiley face next to the Appearance box on the ballot. Hey, maybe that box is good for something.

You're homeschooled, and very stylish.

No comments:

Post a Comment