Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Trying To Explain Interps To People

It's called interpretive speaking. No, it's not like interpretive dancing. It's just acting out books or plays or something. It's fun. You can do Humorous, which is like funny stuff, Dramatic, which is like... dramatic, or Open, which is like either not particularly humorous or particularly dramatic or if you wrote parts of it yourself or even the whole thing. Yea, I know I said it was based on books, but you can interp things you wrote too. What's that? Oh, "interp" is short for "interpretive" or "interpretation" or something. An interpretive speech is called an "interp" which is also the verb form, but someone who interps is called an "interper." Yea, I've probably given you way too much information.

When my friend tries to explain interps to people, he starts out by saying, "Well, it's like schizophrenia." That's probably the way to go. Interps are hard to explain. I taught my youth group that they're basically monologues or plays where I play all the characters. Interps are kind of hard to wrap your mind around if you've never seen one. I know some of you probably have 14 older siblings who have been interping since before you were born, but it's not easy for the rest of us.

Don't even get me started on explaining duos...

You're homeschooled, and you like interps.

1 comment: