Monday, June 6, 2011

Talking To Yourself (And The Wall)

Yes, I did used to think that this was the funniest thing ever, perhaps funnier than The Forensics Clap the first time you experience it. Yes, I sometimes still think that. I am, of course, talking about talking to yourself and talking to the wall. Pretty much all of us do this at tournaments, and we look like we're crazy. Win.

There are a couple of ways to go about this. One is the Platform Practice. This is best performed by standing outside your competition room in the rather thin hallway with your nose to the wall. Or you could also begin pacing the hallway back and forth and back and forth like I do. Once you're ready, simply begin mouthing or reciting your speech. Don't forget to smile and use a lot of big, sweeping hand gestures. You will look like you have serious issues. It will be worth it.

I also recommend the Interp approach. Why? Because it's really funny to see kids walking around a campus making ridiculous facial expressions and turning as they switch characters. Or, of course, talking to the wall. Interps are pretty entertaining, but it can be way more entertaining to see someone performing for an audience that doesn't exist.

I have a friend who promised me that she would never, ever talk to a wall. I smiled and thought back to the days when I was of a similar sentiment. Those days are gone. I can talk to myself with the best of them.

Question: Do debaters do this? Do you ever practice your 1AC or whatever facing a wall? That sounds kind of weird, but then I don't see why it wouldn't happen. Also, I am not aware of a limited-prep method of talking to yourself/a wall, but I'm not saying it doesn't exist.

You're homeschooled, and my invisible audience thinks you're crazy.

1 comment:

  1. I have done all of the above. And debaters and limited prep-ers do it too. I've read my 1AC, practiced CX/a debate speech/prepared speech/interp/impromptu examples/apologetics speech to the mirror/wall/no one. And EVERYONE in the extemp room practices some of their speech before heading into the room.

    ReplyDelete