Monday, September 26, 2011

That Look From Your Partner That Says, "We Got This."

I was at debate camp. Another round of the practice competition was soon to begin. We sat waiting for the judge. I was organizing my pens and paper or whatever at the table and my debate partner was sitting next to me. The affirmative team was doing their prep thing when I heard giggles erupting from their side of the room. I have no idea what those girls where giggling about, just that they were. Loudly. My partner turned to me with an overly exaggerated expression that said, "What's wrong with them?" I leaned over and whispered, "Kids these days..." He grinned with a grin that said, (you guessed it) "We got this."

We got this round. We can so do this. We can win.

And after a couple of rather humbling debates, it was great to feel that way. Especially when we did win that round.

It hurts to lose. It hurts to walk into a round feeling like you'll have no idea what's going on or how to respond and then walk out with your suspicions confirmed. It hurts to stutteringly stumble through speech after speech while wondering why you wanted to do debate in the first place. But somehow it's worth it. It's worth it not only for the moments when everything is in your favor, those moments when you feel like you finally have control, those moments when you can confidently give the kid next to you a knowing smile. Sure those moments are awesome, but they kind of point to something bigger: someday, you'll be grateful for your wins and your losses because they made you a better person.

But we all know that winning is particularly cool.

You're homeschooled. You can do this.

2 comments: