Monday, September 12, 2011

The First Club Meeting Of The Year

Last week was my club's first meeting of the season. I was out of town, so I missed it. My first club meeting of the year is tonight. I'm kinda really excited and kinda really nervous. I have this DI and duo I found a while back that I'm anxious to show people. And I miss my friends. At the same time, I haven't given an impromptu since forever ago. What if I forgot how? Not to mention the fact that it's a bit nerve-wracking when one of the best debaters you know calls you and says, "I'm debating you tonight." Oh, boy.

Nevertheless, it will be good to get back into the swing of things. Summer is over and we all have work to do if we want to be ready this next year. Which reminds me, that's one thing I love about the start of a new season: watching others prepare. My club gets a lot of novice impromptu types each year. I don't particularly enjoy the 2 minute displays of pure nerves or the 5 minute periods of constant rambling. However, I love watching the new kids in about December and seeing how improved they are. It makes me happy. I also love new interps. I get excited to see how they will develop. Last year, I saw a couple of duos while the kids where still on script that I later got to watch in finals. That was so fun.

So the first club meeting... I'm still excited. It'll be weird. I'll watch lots of shaky impromptus. I'll probably be crushed at some point in debate. I'll probably give confusing interps that I'll have to re-cut. That's ok.

You're homeschooled. Get ready.

3 comments:

  1. I love the first week of club. You re-aquaint yourself with everyone and everything, and you get to see people you haven't seen since *gasp* speech camp, and you get to see what everybody's been working on all summer. =)

    What were the duo's you saw last year?

    I love speech. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin and Jacob's, Mikaela and Tim's, and Hannah and Annie's. (I just saw Hannah read it though) :) Not all in the first week, but at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing that. =) It's like you're saying, "I know someone who's famous but I knew them when they weren't! Isn't that COOL???" =)

    ReplyDelete