Saturday, November 26, 2011

Not Leaving Your Name Tag In The Room

I'm one of those kids who doesn't do name tags while giving interps. I have to take them off. They're too distracting. I used to ask, "Is it alright with the judges if I remove my name tag?" but I recently stopped because it's always alright. Except for one time.

I was watching a girl in my room who gave her speech shortly before I did. Before she started, however, she removed her name tag and a judge asked that she out it back on. It was weird, but I didn't make the same mistake.

Anyway, because I take my name tag off before every interp (except that one time), I try to pick it up again afterwards. I have forgotten to grab it nearly every time, especially at my first tournament. One judge gave it back to me after quarter finals, and it somehow ended up with my friend's mom after semis, which is funny, because I just remembered that that same friend ended up with my name tag at Nationals last year after I left in a room during a prelim round. I can't tell you how many times I have crept back into rooms after giving a speech to retrieve my lost tag, awkwardly smiling at judges while doing so, and trying still to look charming and adorable and not give a bad impression. Somehow, throughout all of my mishaps, I have never actually lost a name tag, but that day may yet come.

I know I'm not the only one who does this. You know I'm not the only one who does this. Approximately 97.6% of people who take off their name tags leave them in the room. It's just what happens. That's why it's so awesome when you beat the odds and don't forget your name tag! Maybe you got smart and set it on a desk near the door so you'd spot it after thanking everybody for doing their thing. Maybe you casually stuffed it in your pocket. Maybe you gave it to someone to hold on to. Maybe you decided name tags are too mainstream and ditched yours a long time ago. Or maybe you got it to hang in a non-distracting way around your neck and didn't have to take it off at all! Brilliant!

You're homeschooled. Don't you forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment